Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Thoughts

I went to the funeral of one of my patients yesterday. I don't go to many of my patient's funerals. Actually, this was the first funeral I've gone to, but I have gone to two other patient's calling hours. Like many other people, I wouldn't say going to a funeral is one of my most favorite activities, but this funeral was one of the best I have attended...if there is such a thing. The life of this man was definitely celebrated, and what a great life it was. I always think that I wish I had the opportunity to meet some of the people I have been privileged to take care of prior to them becoming sick with cancer. I have met some of the most amazing people during the past [almost] 5 years I have been an oncology nurse. I can only imagine how their lives were before they got the devastating news of a cancer diagnosis. Even in the midst of battling a horrible disease, these people are always so positive and uplifting. Someone said yesterday during the funeral that [we'll call him T] had every reason to be bitter and angry at the world, yet he was always the exact opposite. The first person to have a smile on his face, the first person to have encouraging words...even when the doctors told him from day one that he was terminal. It's amazing the attitudes of these people. I am seriously inspired every day I'm at work. I'm pretty sure that's just one reason I love my job. People always ask how or why I would want to take care of cancer patients. Isn't it sad? Yes, it definitely has it's sad moments...but it also keeps life in perspective. It constantly reminds me that life can change at the drop of a hat. You never know what tomorrow will bring. That's why we have to live every day with purpose.

Thank you, T, for teaching me how to live life. Your life was a great inspiration to many people.

No comments: